SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
SlOkam – Original
aham krathur aham yagya: svadhAham aham aushadham |
manthrO’ham aham evAjyam aham agnir aham hutham ||
word-by-word meaning (based on puththUr krishNamAchArya swAmy’s thamizh translation)
aham – I am
krathu – the yAgam (sacrifice such as jyOthistOmam etc)
aham yagya – I am the pancha mahA yagyams (the five great sacrifices)
aham svadhA – I am the svadhA (which gives strength to pithrus (ancestors))
aham aushadham – I am the havis (offering given in sacrifices)
aham manthra – I am the manthra
aham Eva Ajyam – I am the offerings such as ghee etc
aham agni – I am the fire (such as AhvanIyam)
aham hutham – I am the hOmam (the fire rituals in the sacrifice)
Simple Translation (based on puththUr krishNamAchArya swAmy’s thamizh translation)
I am the yAgam (sacrifice such as jyOthistOmam etc); I am the pancha mahA yagyams (the five great sacrifices); I am the svadhA (which gives strength to pithrus (ancestors)); I am the havis (offering given in sacrifices); I am the manthra; I am the offerings such as ghee etc; I am the fire (such as AhvanIyam); I am the hOmam (the fire rituals in the sacrifice).
Rendering based on ALkoNdavilli gOvindhAchArya swAmy’s English translation of gIthA bhAshyam
‘I am the kratu, I the yajña, I the svadhā, I the aushadha, I the mantra, I Myself the butter, I the fire, and I the hutam.’
- Kratu: I am the rituals of Veda-sacrifices known as Jyotishtoma1 etc.
- Yajña: I am the acts of daily Sacrifices, the enjoined daily obligations, the Mahāyajña2.
- Svadhā: I am the food oblated in the Sacrifices, which goes to nourish the hosts of Pitṛis (departed ancestors, or divinities who preside over them).
- Aushadha: The classes of plants in general, or herbic compounds, or grain etc., offered, is Myself.
- Mantra: I Myself am the mantra, or holy verses chanted during ritualistic ceremonies.
- I am the clarified butter (which is poured into the fire accompanied with mantras). This implies all other offerings such as soma3.
- I am the fire known as Āhavanīya4 etc.
- Hutam=Homam=the act of Sacrifice. This also is Myself.
archived in http://githa.koyil.org
- The name of a Sacrifice to gain Svarga. ↩
- See footnote 4 to verse 3.8. Cp. Bh: Gi: IV-24. ↩
- The juice of the ‘Asclepias or Aesculapius’. But Aṇna Moreśvar Kunte in his work Ashtānga-hṛidaya says, it is ‘Sarcostema Viminalis’. (P:3). ↩
- The Tretāgni or the Three Fires, are the Gārhaptya=the householder’s consecrated fire transmitted from father to son perpetually; the Āhavanīya is the fire that is lit from this for sacrificial purposes; the Dakshiṇā is the sacred fire placed towards the south, called Anvāhārya-pachana in the Brāhmāṇās. See Chh: Up: iv-11, 12, 13. ↩